November 2016: ITS Connect
Here's what you need to know about utilizing Starfish, open education resources, the data center move, and so much more!
After a successful pilot of Starfish and the Academic Progress Reports for athletes, first-year students, and veterans, the University is now embarking to fully launch this fall 2016.
What are the benefits of Starfish?
- >> You can praise or recognize excellent academic performance with "kudos".
- >> Enables advisers, faculty, and others, including students themselves, to raise "flags" and share information. Assists in identifying students at risk (academically, financially, or personally) in order to provide appropriate support.
- >> Enter and view information and notes from multiple sources in a central location.
- >> It provides access to see your student's "success network", allowing you to view their adviser, other faculty, and/or coaches for the semester.
- >> Track your attendance and run your own attendance reports for your class.
- >> It is a notification system that allows for designated individuals and offices to be notified via e-mail or text message once a kudo or concern is raised.
- >> It allows your student to easily "raise your hand" to request support in your class.
What will be available in the fall?
Designated advisers, faculty, staff, and student-facing offices have access to Starfish. Please note that access to the system is based on role and interaction with students. All students also have access to Starfish. There will be various communications outreach and training provided to faculty and students. To access Starfish, log on at http://starfish.pace.edu.
OPEN EDUCATION RESOURCES (OER)
OER stands for Open Education Resources. The key word being open, referring to that fact that OER are academic materials in the public domain. The OER movement is based on the principle that information should be shared and intellectual collaboration should be encouraged.
On average, students spend $1,100 on course materials annually. This bloated price tag restricts access to education for traditional low-income students and non-traditional, continuing education students with dependents.
One form of OER are eTextbooks which educators can redistribute and remix to fit their unique classroom needs. OERs can be used to supplement or replace increasingly expensive traditional course materials. Our University librarians have comprised a collection of open access resources. This includes open textbooks, audiovisual learning modules, e-journal, and miscellaneous other resources.
You can view the Pace Library Open Access LibGuide at http://libguides.pace.edu/openaccess.
MOVING THE DATA CENTER AND ITS IMPACT
The University's data center is currently housed on the Briarcliff Campus and will soon be moving to the Pleasantville Campus. This undertaking involves many moving parts, coordination, and necessary maintenance periods for all services. ITS has been carefully planning the process for the move and is doing our best to minimize disruption to services.
What does this mean for you?
Certain services and systems will require downtime in order for the move to take place. The length of time those services and systems are unavailable will vary depending on the work that is required.
What should I do?
ITS will be providing more information and communications in the coming weeks to the services and groups that will be affected. To view the full list of important dates, click here.
- >> Please stay aware of the communications so you have the necessary information on which services and systems are affected.
- >> Sign up for the ITS Notice Listserv.
- >> You may need to make adjustments to your schedules of when you use those services and systems.
Take your daughter or son to work, plan for retirement, and stay up to date with the latest from Human Resources.
April 2017: HR Updates
Vanessa J. Herman, assistant vice president of Government and Community Relations, supports women through her mentoring roles at Pace and in her local community as a board member of Dress For Success Brookhaven.
Staff by Day, Fundraiser by Night
A little birdie told us that Pace faculty and staff were sharing some awesome content on Twitter...
As Seen On: April 2017